Bishop Carmelo Scicluna +


Bishop of Malta


Date Age Event Title
3 Aug 1800   Born Pinto
15 Mar 1875 74.6 Appointed Bishop of Malta
12 Jul 1888 87.11 Died Bishop of Malta
  • a priest for 63.6 years
  • a bishop for 13.3 years
  • Principal Consecrator:
    • Archbishop Francesco Converti, O.F.M.
      Archbishop of Reggio Calabria


Carmelo Scicluna (3 August 1800 - 12 July 1888) was a Maltese prelate and count who served as the bishop of Malta from 1875 till 1888.

Scicluna was born in Qormi on August 3, 1800. He was ordained priest in 1824 and 51 years later he was consecrated as the bishop of Malta by Francesco Converti the Archbishop of Reggio Calabria.   He was also appointed as the Titular Archbishop of Rhodes. In 1880 Archbishop Scicluna ordered that as from that year, the traditional procession of Good Friday should be held on a Friday instead of Maundy Thursday.

Archbishop Scicluna died on July 12, 1888 at the age of 87. He had been bishop of Malta for 13 years. His funeral took place in St John's Co-Cathedral in Valletta and was buried in St. Paul's Cathedral, Mdina. The people crowded the city to witness this important event



as reported by the The Tablet on Page 26, 28th July 1888

The Very Rev. Mgr. Conte Carmelo Scicluna, D.D., Archbishop of Rhodes and Bishop of Malta, died on Thursday, July 12th, at r.20 p.m., aged 87.

He was consecrated Bishop of Malta 1n April  1875, by the Archbishop of Reggio. His death, though somewhat sudden, was not unexpected.

In August, 1884, Mgr. Fra Antonio Maria Buhagiar, 0.C., Bishop of Ruspa, was, by reason of the advanced years and increasing infirmities of the late Bishop, appointed Administrator Apostolic of the diocese of Malta, with the usual jurisdiction. On the r7th inst. the various Religious Orders sang the Office for the Dead in the Sala delle Armi of the Bishop's Palace.

The Chapelle Ardente of the Knights of St. John was erected in the co-Cathedral, and at 7 a.m. on the r8th inst. a procession was formed at the palace in the following order : The confraternities, the religious orders, the secular clergy, the parochial clergy, the collegiate clergy, the chapter of the cathedral, headed by the Administrator Apostolic. After the chapter the coffin was borne by eight priests, surrounded by twenty-four seminarists carrying torches, and followed by three clerics, who carried on black velvet cushions the insignia of the Archbishop, namely, the mitre, cross, and pastoral staff. Then followed the Professors of the University and representatives of the Naval, Military, Diplomatic, and Civil Service. His Excellency the Governor of Malta, who was unable owing to illness to be present, was represented by the Deputy-Governor, Sir Walter Hely-Hutchinson. The procession, after passing through the principal streets, entered St. John's co-Cathedral.

The Royal Malta Fencible Artillery lined the route of the procession. A solemn Mass of Requiem was then sung by the Administrator Apostolic, accompanied by a full orchestra. The Rev. Dorn. Salvatore Greeh, D.D., Rector of the Archbishop's Seminary, delivered an eloquent panegyric of the deceased.

The ceremony concluded with the usaal five absolutions, during which nineteen rounds of cannon were discharged at intervals of a minute, the late Bishop being entitled to the military honours due to a BrigadierGeneral. At 4 p.m. the corpse was carried to Notabile for interment in the Cathedral. Valletta was crowded from an early hour by sightseers from various parts of the island, whose curiosity was excited by the funeral of their Bishop.

Strange to say such an event has not been witnessed here for nearly forty years.








website tonight analytics